Save Those Seeds!
Save those pumpkin guts! Done carving your jack-o-lantern masterpiece? The fun doesn’t stop there. Save your pumpkin seeds for a tasty snack as well as some incredible health benefits!
1. Heart Healthy Magnesium - One-quarter cup of pumpkin seeds contains nearly half of the recommended daily amount of magnesium, which participates in a wide range of vitally important physiological functions, the pumping of your heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxation of your blood vessels, and proper bowel function.
2. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc which is a huge immune system booster.
3. Pumpkin seeds are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants and fibers, and may provide benefits for heart and liver health.
4. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid that your body converts into serotonin, which in turn is converted into melatonin, the “sleep hormone.”
5. Anti-Inflammatory benefits for the body.
Roast Your Pumpkin Seeds for a Delicious Treat!
- Separate the pumpkin seeds from the pulp after removing from the pumpkin.
- Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold water to remove any remaining pulp stuck to them.
- Toss the seeds in a small amount of olive oil or other healthy oil (like canola).
- Sprinkle with salt or other seasonings (see suggestions below).
- Bake at 170° F for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Himalayan Salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce
- Cinnamon and brown sugar
- Tabasco sauce and salt
- Italian seasonings, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper
- Pumpkin pie seasoning